Friday, February 6, 2009

Morocco

So Morocco was a very interesting experience. First off there were some crazy waves going into and out of the port which led to my room looking more like a warzone then it normally does. There was broken glass everywhere, my sunglasses broke, a few people got hurt, etc. This coupled with the fact that we got there a day late made for a rough beginning to our trip. 

 

Luckily we did get into port safely and I was able to do the trip I had planned to Marrakech, I know I'm spelling it wrong, a day later then planned. The trip started at our port, we took a bus on a 3 and a half hour drive to Marrakech. We started by visiting the Jardin Marjorelle, a beautiful botanical garden with loads of exotic plants. This was a fun experience because it seemed like an oasis in the middle of this desolate area. 

 

After that we headed to lunch in order to have a traditional Moroccan meal. It started with some sort of caviar on top of tomatos, this was not to my liking. I had a few bites then handed it off to a friend. Then came a pot of lamb. I say a pot of lamb because it really was a pot filled with lamb, dates, olives, some sort of oil, and a couple other things I didn't recognize. It was actually pretty good as lamb goes. I am not a huge fan of lamb, but it was a good meal. The bread was awesome. It seems to me after spending three days there, that bread is the central ingredient to every meal.

 

After that we went on a walking tour of the souks, markets, the palace, and the medina. The archetecture was quite exquisite. We also went by the local mosque, which we were not allowed in if we weren't muslim. This was disappointing, because I hear that it is very beautiful inside. 

 

You can't really describe the souks. The closest thing I can compare it to is a huge craft show where you can barter with the artists and crafters. It was dirty. It smelled of something rotten but it was very fun to spend our time walking around there. In the middle of the medina there was a square. In the square there were men charming COBRAS, F'n COBRAS. I've never seen a venemous snake so close up before. There were also performers and men with monkeys. 

 

We then went to dinner at Chez Ali, also known as the Moroccan Disneyland. It was the most touristy thing I have ever done. The food was good, but they had performances by horseback riders that were really really cheesy. 

 

The following day we took the bus in to Ourika Valley. The valley just outside of Marrakech where some of the indigenous people of Morroco, the Berbers, live. We spent time in an authentic Berber household. These people live in clay houses, 20 people to one house. It was about as removed from Amrican Civilization as I think you can get. We then drove up to see some of the High Atlas Mountains. It made me miss my snowboard as I could see snow on top of the mountains :'(. We then made our way back to Casablanca.

 

Yesterday was our last day in Morocco and I spent it walking around and shopping in Casablanca. I felt amazingly less safe in Casablanca then I did in Marrakech. It was not as tourist friendly nor was it as fun. I did manage to buy a few things for really cheap. 

 

That was my trip to Morocco. When I get signal on my phone again I will post some pictures, I only have limited bandwidth through the boats wireless connection.

 

Live, Love, Life,

Steven at Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment