Monday, February 23, 2009

South Africa Synopsis

Back on the ship I am once again. We left Cape Town very late last night as there were weather delays leaving the port. They said there was too much wind in order to leave port on time. Nevertheless we are now on a course to Mauritius. 

South Africa was an amazing experience from beginning to end. On the day we arrived MICE was scheduled to perform at the V&A Waterfront Amphitheater. We played 4 songs for a crowd of about 100 or so people. This crowd consisted of SAS students, faculty, staff, etc. as well as local peoples, waterfront employees, and tourists. It was an amazing experience, from setting up to taking our final bow. I had never experienced putting on a concert quite like this before, where we had to set up the stage ourselves, and then perform, then cleanup. It was awesome. Many locals came up afterwards asking who we were, where we were from, what our music was called. The feeling of satisfaction at the end really can’t be described. If people left in the middle of the performance it didn’t bother me, people were there anyway and most enjoyed it. Afterwards the band went out for dinner and drinks. The rest of the night consisted of drinking local beer in the port area. It was cheap and affordable. Cape Town really is a wonderful place.

The next day was the beginning of my Safari. We left at 8 AM for the Cape Town airport. The entire airport was under construction for the 2010 FIFA world cup. It felt like everything in the area said World Cup 2010 somewhere on it. The flight to Johannesburg was fairly uneventful until the landing which calling smooth would be about the opposite of what it really was. We survived though and got on our way to the Pilansberg National Park. The two and a half hour bus ride through the South African countryside was beautiful. We arrived at the Ivory Tree Game Lodge and almost instantly got in cars to go on safari. The first animals we saw were zebras, followed closely by hippos and wildebeest. The safari was quite amazing, from the animals we saw, which I hope to put up a bunch of pictures of when my phone works, to the food, to the hotel, and the elephant that came into the pool area of the hotel. It was amazing. My safari guide’s name was Zack, and though he wasn’t very talkative, when he did he was very informative and fun to have as our guide. I didn’t get to see a leopard, cheetah, or buffalo, maybe next time I come to South Africa I will. I did see a lion about as close as 3 feet. He was really big cat. The place followed the itinerary of eat, sleep, safari. I suggest it to anyone looking for a different kind of vacation.

We came back to Cape Town after three LONG days of safari. That night I went out with some friends to a wonderful little restaurant called Quay 4. It is right in the dock area and had very good food. I ate warthog, springbok, and ostrich. I also had some very good wine and company. We then made our way over to a jazz bar called the Green Dolphin that had a live jazz band and enjoyed some drinks until late at night. 

The last day was spent shopping. I found some cool things for myself and my family. I bought my dad a world cup hat and my brother a world cup tshirt that he will love because the South African flag looks like its tie die. I found myself a South Africa sticker for my computer as well as a world cup bag. I guess I need to find my mother something in the next port :). 

Overall, South Africa was one of my best experiences so far. Now I am back on this ship headed to my next great adventure. Too bad the ship is in study mode tonight as we have a test in Global Studies tomorrow that everyone seems to be worried about. Since I don’t skip it and actually take notes and pay attention, I should be fine, but tonight is going to be a dedicated study night for me. Wish me luck my faithful friends!

Love,

Steven

P.S. There will be more pictures, just give me some time in order to send 'em in, Mauritius has free wireless coast to coast so I'm hoping to use that :).

No comments:

Post a Comment